"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Thu, 1 Sep 88 14:17:47 GMT
>QUESTION: do you have  to change it for every file in  the "xxxx FILEID" (and
>          not only the *DEFAULT* entry) ?

Any reference to the static filemode must  be changed to 'Xn/cuu'. But you can
do this easily with  an XEDIT change command. Be sure  that your PROFILE XEDIT
doesn't change the file to RECFM V.

NOTE: Nothing  forces you to change  static minidisks into dynamic  ones. That
is, everything that  worked before will still  work with the new  code. IF you
want to change static disks into dynamic ones, THEN you have to go to the pain
of making changes to old FILEID entries.

>Experience: For each FILELIST (not for the only NOTEBOOK filelists)

That was a mistake. I meant  'DATABASE REFRESH listname'. The filelist REFRESH
process is recommended (for consistency) but  not mandatory, and then only for
the affected  filelists. DATABASE  REFRESH is mandatory  for all  the affected
lists, because the old DBNAMES file contains references to static mdisks. Note
that there is a restriction to the REFRESH command that it will support only a
limited number of different dynamic disks for  a given filelist (ie it must be
possible  to  ACCESS all  these  disks  concurrently  -  this is  for  obvious
performance reasons, it would  take hours if you had to  ACCESS a minidisk for
each file in  the filelist). If it proves  to be a problem, I will  find a way
out (like  sorting the files according  to cuu, accessing the  disk, gathering
all info, then writing it back in the appropriate order - a pain, but it could
be done if needed).  This applies only at the filelist level,  ie you can have
400 filelists each  with files on a  different minidisk, but you  can't have a
single filelist  with files on 400  different minidisks (or then  you couldn't
REFRESH it).

  Eric