"A. Harry Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Feb 1994 12:11:23 EST
On Fri, 11 Feb 1994 08:46:21 -0800 Rob Tanner said:

>Actually, listserv is available for UNIX and has been for some time.
Having had to deal with several of those recently as a mail admin,
and having to get rid of inactive account subscriptions, let me
correct you.  LISTSERV is *NOT* available for Unix, and the wannabes
just don't cut it.

>The UNIX version has a few features/commands not found in the mainframe
>version, howver, in general it is not as full featured as it lacks the
>more sophisticated database search facilities.  It is, I believe,
>freeware, is written by Anastasios Kotsikonas, and is called
>ListProcessor.  For the less sophisticated subscribers (which I
>presume -- perhaps incorrectly -- is the typical subscriber) the UNIX
>version is command for command identical to its big sister.
Hardly identical. I still have to go through hoops to deal with it.

>There are also a whole collection of other UNIX based mailing list
>server programs that are used for mailing lists housed on UNIX
>machines.  The one I'm most aware of is Majordomo which is written
>entirely in PERL.
and is one of the ones I've had problems with in the last week.

>-- Rob Tanner
/ahw