Walter Logeman <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 22:25:00 GMT
Eric,

You asked:

~~~quote~~~

Did you ever get any responses to this question?  I would also
love to let people submit mail while in the web-based archives.

Any words of wisdom?

~~~end quote~~~

No.  I havn't, but am still interested in how to combine listserv
with web based conferencing.  I have left my original post
appended below.

Walter

>Hi,
>
>I have Just explored Forum One,
>
>http://www.forumone.com/
>
>which offers a good insight into the world of Web conferencing.
>I have used Motet at Cafe Utne, quite nice.  *Nothing* beats an
>email mailing list such as this -- this is *push* technology --
>it comes to us, and it is fast, not like the web, and can be
>worked offline, filed and sorted locally.
>
>However there are advantages to web conferencing.  Several lists
>can coexist on a site, with associated text and graphics and
>links, and thus create a sense of community. (See Utne.)  Forum
>One also indexes all of the discussions current on the web in
>enrolled web sites -- quite a development, which listserv lists
>can not be party to at present.
>
>The l-soft archives on the web go part of the way.  For example:
>
>http://home.ease.lsoft.com/archives/psyber-l.html
>
>I would love to see that incorporate a window which allowed one
>to:
>[ Write New Message | Reply to message ] etc.  My wish is that
>the message would then be distributed by email as usual, and go
>to the web archive as usual.  I would envisage the password
>system applying, and it only accepting people who could normally
>write to the list.  Does this exist already?  Have others done
>it?
>
>This is all part of my thinking that the Mailing List is the most
>effective technology, for the most complex discussions, and
>collaboration.   Site appeal of the web, also has value.  How can
>we have the best of both?
>

>Walter

>Walter Logeman                 [log in to unmask]
>http://www2.chch.planet.org.nz/~walter/psybernet.html
>ICQ UID: 196356

* Eric Marcoullier
* Web Director
*
* http://www.imaginegames.com
* Next Generation -- Ultra Game Players -- PC Gamer -- Boot
* N64.com -- SaturnWorld -- PSXPower

Walter Logeman                 [log in to unmask]
www.psybernet.co.nz                       ICQ: 196356