Bill Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 13 May 1994 19:48:45 CST
On Mon, 9 May 1994 13:06:56 -0700, David Alix <[log in to unmask]> said:
>Our system will be leaving Bitnet this summer, and I was going to use the
>:newnode tag to change our user's addresses in listservers.   I'm just not
>certain which address to use.
>Our Internet name is "ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu", but the From: line from our users
>to Bitnet listservers will probably be something like

What makes you think so?

If that's truly the case, then you're probably outta luck.  I don't
think :newnode can be coerced into helping you in that situation.

However, most BITNET gateways are smart enough not to %-hack an address
that's already fully qualified.  Have you tested yours to be certain
one way or the other?  You might be worrying about a non-issue.

>                                           Will listservers be able to
>match that From line to the user's "[log in to unmask]" subscription
>address?

No.

>          If not, will they not be able to unsubscribe without human
>intervention, or post to private lists?

No.  And no.

>                                          MIght it then be better to use
>the gatewayed address in the :newnode tag (or is that even possible)?

As I understand how the :newnode tag is used, that won't work.

>Can anyone who has made this move make any suggestions on easing the
>transition for our users?

Sorry, I have no personal experience in this area.  I'm not sure what
to tell you.

>                           Thanks for your help.

Good luck.
Bill