June Genis <GA.JRG@STANFORD>
Mon, 8 Jan 90 16:43:04 PST
I was wondering if someone else in my shop had seen a particular
message on IBM-MAIN this morning so I sent off a REView LOCAL to the
server I get stuff from (RUTVM1) to see if she was subscribed.  I
was the only person from my node on the list so I forwarded the
material to her.  I later found out that she had gotten it because
she is subscribed but is assigned to a different server (RICE I
think).  Granted we probably signed on at different times and the
peer configuration has likely changed along the way, but I always
thought that LISTSERV moved people to the best server as new ones
become available.

Although I don't carry a topo map of the network around in my head
I'm inclined to think that you can't get much further from Stanford
than Rice in terms of number of hops, but I'd also bet that she's
joined the list more recently than I and that if anything the
decision to assign RICE rather than RUTVM1 is a more recent decision
(i.e.  I don't think the problem is that RUTVM1 wasn't around when
she signed up although it's possible that RICE might not have been
there when I signed on which was probably as soon as it was
announced  -- got that all now :-).

Can anybody explain what's at work here for me.  Thanks,
/June

To:  LSTSRV-L(LSTSRV-L@POLYGRAF)