Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 7 Apr 1992 16:39:06 +0200
Due to problems with release 1.7b under CMS 7 and above all 8, and due to
a large  amount of  internal changes  making it  very difficult  to issue
fixes  at  the moment,  it  looks  like I  cannot  wait  too long  before
releasing 1.7c. Due  to conferences and other commitments I  will be away
most of next month,  so we have to aim for a release  date around the end
of this month.

Release 1.7c introduces support for CMS 8, fixes for CMS 6-8 and the SFS,
and rather significant performance  enhancements for backbone servers. In
particular, updates to the "list of  list" (GLOBLIST FILE) take from 8 to
10 times less  CPU than previously, exclusive of any  time spent updating
the LISTS database if  you host it (that part of  the code is unchanged).
For minor  backbone servers,  GLOBLIST FILE  updates (X-LUPD  jobs) could
amount to 50% of the CPU  bill, so this change considerably decreases the
resource cost associated with joining  the backbone. In addition, changes
to the handling  of DD's improve the performance of  DISTRIBUTE by 10-30%
in terms of CPU time, and may  considerably reduce the amount of disk I/O
involved in  the distribution.  A side  effect is  that LSVDIST2  EXEC no
longer  calls  LSVCRC  MODULE,  which  may or  may  not  solve  the  REXX
"Interpreter failure" problem for sites  which have not installed the IBM
fix.  These  changes,  however,  have  introduced  serious  compatibility
problems for locally written extensions  or modifications, due to changes
in data structures and conversion of a lot of central code to PASCAL.

Due to the scope  of the changes, I expect beta-testing  to uncover a lot
of problems, so do not apply unless  you are prepared to do a fair amount
of troubleshooting.  I need a couple  of sites running CMS  4-5, at least
one VM/SP site, but I am mostly interested in CMS 7-8 sites. In addition,
I need one site running the LISTS  database, which I may well have broken
and do not run locally (no way  to test it myself). Thanks in advance for
your cooperation. Note that I have set the 'Reply-To:' to point to me.

  Eric