Trish Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 13 Apr 1995 19:34:05 -0400
On Wed, 12 Apr 1995, Chris Barnes wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Apr 1995 22:56:23 -0400 Norm Aleks said:
> >How about  something  like this (as  suggested  to me  by others): make the
> >newsgroup moderated, with  postings sent to the  LISTSERV,  and the gateway
> >one-way (LISTSERV to USENET only); thus, all postings pass through LISTSERV
> >before going to USENET.   Then,  set LSTSRV-L to  "Send=Private",  allowing
> >only subscribers to post.  You can still  post through your newsreader, you
> >just have  to subscribe first (getting  the  welcome message  and, we hope,
> >thinking a little bit first).  You  don't have to get a  copy by mail; just
> >SET  LSTSRV-L NOMAIL.  And  those who  wish to lurk   don't have  to change
> >anything.
>

> This is EXACTLY how I plan on running a new newsgroup which currently is
> in the RFD stage (the listserv list has been up and running for about
> 4 months now).
>
> Actually the Send= tag can be changed from Private to Open, and only
> moved back to Private if extraneous posts become a problem.  The Filter=
> tag is also useful in keeping out 'problem' people....

  I could be wrong, but if this is how the HUNTING list was set up, and
if other people are going to experiment by using LISTSERV as a
moderator for a newsgroup, could you please remember to turn the
ACK off.  Usenet admins will appreciate this very much.

  It might be a good idea to produce a single document with instructions?

Cheers!  --Trish