Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:53:20 -0400
>If the message below says 4 errors have been reported for the top three
>addresses, why do they still appear, if the explanation below says the
>subscribers will be deleted once 2 delivery errors occur?  (LISTSERV has
>reported 4 errors for them for 5 days straight.)  Does this mean
>LISTSERV was unable to delete the addresses for some reason?

Yes, usually.  Or possibly the address was removed but LISTSERV
received some bounces for it after the removal.  (For instance a mail
server might generate a bounce after trying to deliver a message to a
given recipient for five days.  In this case LISTSERV will probably
continue to receive bounces for five days after the address has been
removed.)

>For example, if a subscriber has mail forwarded, does LISTSERV know which
>one so it can auto-delete the address?

In general, no.

>I know the documentation says manually deleted addresses will appear for
>a period of time under an alias, so I thought that accounted for the two
>unusually formatted addresses, but I deleted those a couple months ago...

You may wish to temporarily set your mailing list to

        Auto-Delete= Yes,Semi-Auto,...

(I assume your current setting is Yes,Full-Auto); LISTSERV will then
forward bounces from addresses not subscribed to the mailing list to
the listowner for inspection.  That should clarify what the bounces
related to the "ghost" addresses are.

Thanks,
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support