"E H. Carruth" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Jan 1992 13:54:47 -0500
The [log in to unmask] was recently sent a complaint about the way
we reject mail from [log in to unmask]  The complaint came about
Here's an excerpt from the complaint:

> We'd all appreciate it if you could contact the Postmaster at Virginia.Edu
> about the any one of a dozen or so ways to return mail to a LISTSERV so
> that it will recognize it as undelivered mail.  If users at Virginia.Edu
> want LISTSERV service, their mailer's going to have to accomdate it (should
> be no problem for MMDF - just a matter of a little doodling with the
> configuration).

Any rejection from virginia.edu is addressed to the smtp "MAIL FROM"
address, which is in conformance with the rfc821 specification on rejection
of messages.  The rfc822 "Subject" header says "Failed mail  (msg.id)" which
should be clear enough if a server is parsing the rfc822 header.  The message
body says to whom it could not be delivered, and why, then includes the
message being rejected.

Our postmaster asked me what was wrong with the way this mail was rejected,
but I don't know the answer to his question.  Is there special formatting
that listserv requires which we don't know about?  Or is there a problem
with the listserv host putting the actual list address in the MAIL FROM?
Where can I learn about the "ways to return mail to a listserv?"

(If these questions are answered in a document, just point me in the right
direction so I can get it and figure out if we're doing something wrong.)
I will appreciate any help you folks can give me in straightening this out.

Hamp Carruth				Internet:  [log in to unmask]
Academic Computing			  Bitnet:  ehc@virginia
University of Virginia