Linda Littleton <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 19 Apr 90 10:33:02 EDT
In article <LSTSRV-L%90041719274439@RUTVM1>, "Michael R. Gettes"
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>What concerns me here is simply the  history of BITNET. I think it is terrific
>that PSU is willing to provide this  level of support to BITNET. However, does
>CREN agree with the service that PSU  is providing??? I am asking this because
>it is kind of necessary for BITNIC  to be aware of this implementation so they
>can refer  questions accordingly. If  BITNIC does not  agree with what  PSU is
>doing then lord knows  what will happen if someone asks  questions of the NIC.

I don't believe BITNIC even runs NETNEWS, so they're not in a position to be
aware of the details, let alone coordinate them.  Also, this is not just a
BITNET problem, as the LISTSERV groups are propogated to many sites that are
not on BITNET.

>Secondly, what  about the  other co-operating networks???  Will they  buy into
>this scheme as well? How will they know to register with PSU?

There is discussion on this going on it bit.admin and news.admin groups.  The
people involved generally read at least news.admin.

>Has  there  been thought  to  moderating  the  list  via cs.psu.edu  and  have
>cs.psu.edu do the message-id checking as it moves from netnews to mail???

The Netnews to mail gateway will be done by the same site that does the mail
to Netnews gateway.  This will generally be psuvm.psu.edu, and some will be
done by AUVM and YSUB and perhaps some others.  And yes, the Netnews code
checks the message-id and does not send duplicates.  There would not be a
problem with duplicates if ONE site is doing the gateway.  Problems would
occur, though, if more than one site were gatewaying the same group, and this
is why we want to set up the registration procedure.

-Linda