Tim Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 17:40:05 -0500
So I could just use say DTS in SQL7/2000 to import the data in and listserv
will be able to handle it?

Also, as a side question that is still open....How can I pull say all the
users for say TestList1? We have several lists and I am working on building
an interface for our editorial staff to be able to send emails.

Thanks.

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan Brindle [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 3:13 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Import Problem

The dev guide doesn't say you do this with ADD.  You have to import the
data into the table with standard DBMS methods if you want to preserve
the user options field (the data in columns 81-100).

So what you should do is break the data from the list down into three
columns:  an EMAIL column, a NAME column, and an OPTIONS column.  Then
you should be able to import the data into the DBMS table using, say,
some sort of delimited data import method.

If you don't care about the user options transferring over, you can
certainly use a bulk ADD job, but it can't contain the user option
string.  Since you're migrating from a native format list to a DBMS
list, I would imagine you'd want to keep the options, in which case
a bulk ADD won't work for you.

Nathan