Jim Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 13 Feb 1993 16:36:27 EST
On Fri, 12 Feb 93 19:13:45 EST you said:
>I don't think that is the case on my side. I can send my either PROFS or
>RICE mail to Internet directly from all userids. But my LISTSERV can ONLY send
>mail through BITNET. No mater it is a Internet address. ...

 That's because LISTSERV does more than just dump the mail distribution
 to your MAILER.  If your mailer is configured to use the local SMTP as
 the Bitnet/Internet gateway for all Internet mail, fine.  But that only
 means mail it receives will be treated that way.  Since LISTSERV uses
 it's own distribution mechanism for bundling mail together and sending
 it to the proper destinations, my guess is that your MAILER never gets
 to look at the mail.  It's forwarded across the LISTSERV backbone to
 whatever gateway is responsible (as per DOMAIN NAMES as described in
 my previous note) for that Internet domain.  So in other words, both
 LISTSERV and MAILER (whichever one your using) need to be told to use
 your local SMTP if you want to send mail directly to Internet hosts.
 It sounds like your MAILER already uses a nodified DOMAIN NAMES, you
 just need to do something similar for your LISTSERV.

>Thank you a lot for your response, John. Is there any other suggestions?

 Just one final point I suppose.  When I said,

>> ...                   So, I'd suggest only overriding the entries that
>> route traffic to INTERBIT.  That way, your local SMTP will handle all
>> Internet mail for domains not explicitly listed in DOMAIN NAMES.

 I meant for both your MAILER and your LISTSERV.  But I doubt that
 opinion is shared by everyone.

 -jj