Ross Patterson <A024012@RUTVM1>
Tue, 18 Nov 86 10:18:55 EST
Eric,

    Not only  do I not want  to to redistribute SF-LOVERS  via a local
list,  but   I'm  not   sure  I   want  LISTSERV@RUTVM1   involved  in
DISTRIBUTE'ing it  either.  This  brings up  an interesting  point: We
(the postmasters) are responsible to our management for the effects of
Listserv  on our  spool/CPU/productivity/ moral/etc.   We can  control
those effects, since  we control the lists that  we serve.  DISTRIBUTE
leaves a gaping  hole in that control.  Anyone, anywhere,  can build a
DISTRIBUTE job, and every Listserv in PEER NAMES will cooperate to get
it done.  Thus I have no control over what my Listserv is doing.

    The old method (ala LSTSRV-D) of handling DISTRIBUTE gives us much
more  control over  what was  going on.   Those nodes  uninterested in
helping to  spread certain  things (like ARPA  digests) don't  have to
participate, while still being able  to join in the DISTRIBUTE'tion of
LISTSERV, RELAY,  RSCSMODS, etc.  The  right to DISTRIBUTE via  a list
would be governed by the Send privilege, and Listserv would be able to
indicate that "File <xxx> is being sent to you from <whomever> via the
<yyy> list."

    In short, the control must rest in the hands of the postmasters.

Ross