"CLARKE, Paul (M23)" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 May 1998 11:29:43 +1000
Everything on the net is new to everyone at some time and therefore there
must be some education occurring to get people up to speed. I always think
of the word assume as an easy way to make an ASS of U and ME. Being a
Listowner is only a title and doesn't imply knowledge.

When we create a new list several things occur; the requester and owner has
the whole concept and options explained to them, the list is set up, the
owner/s have a 2 hour training session on running a list, the owner is added
to a the listowners list (owned by me) which I use to provide ongoing
training t the owners. We are in a good position as all list owners are
employees of Education Queensland.

The listowners list is a great tool and after all, all we are doing is using
the media to support the media.

Obviously your operation seems larger than ours (sent to over 500 addresses)
but I think a listowners list would provide guidance rather than the "big
stick approach". Even so, in the training we give owners we tell them that
"A list is not a democracy" (a concept that is being discussed on the
LISTOWN-L list at the moment), likewise a listserv is not a democracy, you
run the listserv - you make the rules. The owners should know this, if they
don't like it they can go somewhere else, I would hope we never get to this
stage!

Paul.
  Paul Clarke
  Online Curriculum Information Project Officer
  Open Access Unit
  Gabba Towers
  Level 6, 411 Vulture Street
  Woolloongabba Brisbane Qld 4102