"Richard A. Schafer" <SCHAFER@RICE>
Fri, 6 May 88 09:54:12 CDT
>2.  Considering the  amount  of  requests I  have  received  for this  change,
>   LSVNADDR will  now unconditionally upcase  the nodeid  part of any  and all
>   RFC822 address  which LISTSERV makes use  of. This is in  strict compliance
>   with  RFC822.
Well, to be perfectly strict about it, RFC822 does not require you to do this,
but rather requires that address interpreters ignore the case of the domain.
However, that certainly *allows* you do uppercase any address you generate.
At the same time, of course, it thereby requires LISTSERV to be able to
recognize different case versions of the domain part of an addr-spec as
identical, so uppercasing the domain part of every address you see would
seem to be the easy way out.  No comments on what certain unnamed software will
do, however.