Debbie Douglass <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 14 May 1997 15:31:27 EDT
On May 14, on [log in to unmask], Dan Kanagy said:
 >>A subscriber to a mailing list I moderate is having a puzzling
 >>problem.  Periodically he receives digests that aren't complete, that
 >>is to say, not all the notes in the table of contents actually appear
 >>in the digest.  This has happened to him now three times.  As far as I
 >>can tell, it is only happening to him.  No one else in the list with
 >>about 600 subscribers has complained about incomplete digests, and
 >>comparing the digest that he received as incomplete with the same
 >>digests that others received shows that others received the digest in
 >>its full.

I've had this problem in the past and I expect to have it again
in the future. In my experience, partial digests are usually
caused by a single period as the first and only character on a
line. This is seen as a end-of-message flag with some mail
programs and thus digests get cut off. Look through the messages
from a complete version of one of the digests received incomplete
to be sure. If this turns out to  be the case then you just have
to educate your subscribers to not use lone periods.

-Debbie Douglass

[log in to unmask]    : May your sword always be within
Systems Administrator               : reach and may your Foe's skill
GTE Government Systems, Needham, MA : and luck be less than your own.