"Michael R. Gettes" <CCMRG@BOSTONU>
Wed, 4 May 88 14:44:46 EDT
My dear fellow LISTSERV Maintainers:

  I have a bit of a problem. In late July I am going to be changing my
nodename from BOSTONU to BUACCA. This presents a problem for all the
LISTSERV distribution lists. I have about 4,000 Bitnet users and I do
not know which lists they are all subscribed. As well, consider the
user community that does not like to be inconvenienced and does not
handle change very well (like most Universities). What I need is to have
all occurrences of BOSTONU in all LISTS, AFD/FUI Files, SIGNUP FILE,
and everywhere else, changed to BUACCA. Unfortunately, Eric's new
NETWIDE stuff does not give ME the ability to deal with changing all
this nor even gathering the information necessary. So, the only
viable solution I can think of is for me to write an exec that you
would execute on your LISTSERV that would change everything that would
need to be changed. I understand the issue of trust here. I am open
to other alternatives. The obvious alternative is to have all the users
change things themselves - I hope that you can appreciate that this
is really not a viable solution. My preference would be, to write an exec
that you install on your listserv 191, place an entry in WAKEPARM FILE
so that the lists will be changed at the same time and around the
time I change names, and the exec would alter what it needs and then
even erase itself...if possible, (the erasing is just a thought).
I would obviously thoroughly test out this name change exec on my own
listserv. Please let me here your thoughts.

                - Michael Gettes, Boston University