David Boyes <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 16:20:25 +0000
> > I have a problem with using lsofts listserver product and our pop
> > server.  L-soft's listserver application leaves the 'from' address
> > empty when it replies, and our pop server, which is running on
> > solaris2.5, and it is 'version 1.831beta' does not recognize it as
> > a message when the 'from' field is blank.  Has anyone run into
> > this?
> This is a POP client problem, not a LISTSERV problem.

After thinking a bit more, another possibility occurred to me. If
you're talking about the MAIL FROM: line in the envelope being null
(eg, <>), then you need to check your sendmail.cf file. The default
sendmail.cf supplied with Solaris is *still* hopelessly broken and
does not handle the valid RFC-specified case of a null MAIL FROM in the
envelope (recommended for error daemons etc) correctly. The simple
solution is to upgrade to a recent sendmail or fix the sendmail.cf
ruleset 4 (I think -- it's been a long time) to handle
canonicalization correctly for this case.

In either case, it's not LISTSERV, but elements of your mail system
that are having problems.

 You don't
> mention what your POP client software is, so it's hard to give any
> concrete recommendations other than if the POP server is accepting
> mail without a valid From: line, you should fix that ASAP. POP
> clients should be submitting fully formatted messages, not relying
> on the server to fix things up. LISTSERV gets involved only after
> the POP servers are done.
>
> David Boyes

David Boyes