"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Tue, 24 May 88 17:30:24 GMT
>Wouldn't it be great if the  other LISTSERV's recognized ( after a while
>... ) that one LISTSERV was unreachable, and dynamically modified the
>weights so that whatever could be kept away from the "down" LISTSERV was
>kept away?

If you tell  me of a way  to determine what is the  path between LISTSERV
node 'A' and LISTSERV node 'B', considering that some people use GENROUTS
to generate their tables, some use  the BITNET ones and some other people
often reroute nodes manually (granted, this is done only when the network
is  not operating  smoothly, but  this is  when you  want this  automatic
feature to get  triggered, right?)... Of course, this would  have to work
even if there are non-VM machines in  the path. And it should not involve
any human action,  and should also be able to  determine alternate routes
so that the proper weights can be modified. By the time this is possible,
EARN/BITNET will have moved to T1 speed lines with a 256Mb/s backbone :-)

  Eric