Norm Aleks <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 9 Aug 1995 17:01:48 -0400
Well, I like the anti-spam  feature a lot (though from  what I can tell  it
hasn't actually blocked *us* from  a spam yet  ... all our lists are either
confidential or set  for private  posting).  I  have  noticed, though, that
LISTSERV  seems to be inconsistent  on how it treats multiple notifications
of a spam:  sometimes when a second  alert comes in,  I won't hear about it
(as postmaster), but instead LISTSERV will log a line like this:

> 9 Aug 1995 00:26:43 -> Already registered as a spammer, no action taken.
> 9 Aug 1995 00:36:15 -> Already registered as a spammer, no action taken.

Other times, quite often in fact, LISTSERV  sends me multiple announcements
of the spam.  A good example is today's funny spam attempt, attached below.

Does anyone know why the difference?  Thanks,

Norm
--
If money could talk, it would say goodbye.

==1========================================================================
------------------------------ Original alert ------------------------------
A message with subject "Effective Spamming on the NET FREE GUIDE!" posted by
[log in to unmask] to the  CICS-L list at UGA.CC.UGA.EDU has been  identified as a
possible  spam  because  [log in to unmask]  had previously  posted  an  identical
message to a large number of lists at UGA.CC.UGA.EDU.
==2========================================================================
------------------------------ Original alert ------------------------------
A message with subject "Effective Spamming  on the NET FREE GUIDE" posted by
[log in to unmask]  to the  Q-L-ADMIN-USE-ONLY list  at VMD.CSO.UIUC.EDU  has been
identified as a possible spam  because [log in to unmask] had previously posted an
identical message to a large number of lists at VMD.CSO.UIUC.EDU.
==3========================================================================
------------------------------ Original alert ------------------------------
A message with subject "Effective Spamming  on the NET FREE GUIDE" posted by
[log in to unmask] to  the DEOS-L list at  PSUVM.PSU.EDU has been identified  as a
possible  spam  because  [log in to unmask]  had previously  posted  an  identical
message to a large number of lists at PSUVM.PSU.EDU.
==4========================================================================
------------------------------ Original alert ------------------------------
A message with subject "Effective Spamming  on the NET FREE GUIDE" posted by
[log in to unmask] to the ED-MOLGEN list  at NIC.SURFNET.NL has been identified as
a  possible spam  because [log in to unmask]  had previously  posted an  identical
message to a large number of lists at NIC.SURFNET.NL.
A message with subject "Effective Spamming on the NET FREE GUIDE!" posted by
[log in to unmask]  to  the  FILMUS-L   list  at  IUBVM.UCS.INDIANA.EDU  has  been
identified as a possible spam  because [log in to unmask] had previously posted an
identical message to a large number of lists at IUBVM.UCS.INDIANA.EDU.