Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 16 Nov 1991 12:41:39 EST
I have an idea  for minizing the total number of class m  files sitting in our
reader and I wanted to bounce it off you folks to see what you think.

My idea  is to write a  Rexx exec which takes  as an argument, a  userid name.
This exec  would transfer  all of  the files from  that userid  to my  class D
postmaster account.   It would than receive  those files into a  new notebook.
This notebook would  contain all of the mail sitting  in that person's reader.
The exec would than send the file back  to the user along with a separate note
explalining what  happened.  The user can  then receive the notebook  and look
through it with the MAILBOOK command.

I do not  want to generalize the  exec to look at everyone's  reader because I
only care about the 10 or 20 people who have a large nummber of reader files.

This is  a bit  of a  drastic idea,  but it  would work  and has  the two-fold
advantage of cutting  down on the total  number of reader files  on our system
and it let's people read lots of  incoming mail without hitting a memory limit
so quickly since any  one notebook would contain only a  day's mail instead of
all of the mail for the past week or so.

Stan Horwitz
Listserv Postmaster
Temple University
Acknowledge to: OASIS@TEMPLEVM (or VM.TEMPLE.EDU)