Jim Toth <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:04:00 -0500
On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 02:31:55PM -0500, Barry D. Krawchuk ([log in to unmask]) said:
> We recently switched from using LISTSERV on VM to UNIX. Our lists generally
> are set with option SEND= Private or SEND= Owner to restrict postings to
> list members or owners.
>
> I'm a listserv maintainer and was just surprised to be able to post to a
> list with SEND= Owner, even though I'm not a Owner. This is a change from
> the VM version where I had to subscribe first.

As I understand it, as a listserv maintainer you're effectively a quiet
owner for all lists on that machine.  So if Send=Owner, you're there.

> Is it supposed to work this way under UNIX? Is there a way to make sure
> that the maintainer's cannot post to lists without subscribing?

If you have, say, Send=Editor or Send=<specific email addresses> for
those lists, that should work.  Even Send=Private should exclude you
if you're not a member of that list.

--
Jim Toth