John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 11:02:00 -0500
> We have a number of lists (10-25K subscribers) that we reload several times
> a week. At that moment, we resend the header with a PUTALL and the whole
> list. Initially, I tried using QUIET DELETE listname *@* followed by a bulk
> add import, but I noticed that the delete command appeared to cause
> thousands of log entries as though I had deleted each one seperately.
> Additionally, using the bulk delete command requires knowing all the
> subscribers.
>
> I'm interested if there's a better way to reload lists from scratch without
> having to delete all the entries or send the header each time.
>
> I suppose I'd like there to be a "replace" function added bulk features so
> instead of saying add import, you'd say add replace like many DBMS have for

If the web interface is installed, bulk operations via the web performs in
this manner (2nd option). This basically does a bulk delete with the BRIEF
option and doesn't require you to supply the addresses, then immediately
does a bulk import with a supplied address file.

http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/sitemgr/sitemgr.html#11.9
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/sitemgr/sitemgr.html#5.4.9