Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 15:03:00 -0400
On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, David Young wrote:

> I've been thinking about doing something like what you're asking about to
> deal with lists created each semester for courses.  I haven't really found a
> simple solution, though.  The Change-Log feature (Change-Log= Yes) helps,
> but the files take up quite a bit of space for very active lists.  It would
> be really handy if Listserv could keep a "last post" date accessible via a
> SHOW command for easier checking.  I currently keep an archive of list
> requests which sometimes contain a termination date and use that information
> to periodically clean up my lists.  I hope you find a solution.

I am not sure how things work at other universities, but here, its most
common for the same professors to teach the same courses for several years
in a row. As such, I tend to create lists for these professors using
standardized names with a format that's similar to the course numbering
system here. For example, a professor Smith who teaches CIS10 would get a
list called CIS10-SMITH. This list would then be retained for several
years.

The lists I need to retire tend to be for organizations and departments
that no longer exist.