"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Tue, 7 Mar 89 14:49:13 GMT
> (1) The  default limit  be raised to  at least 5  times the  current (256kb)
> limit

The current  limit is already  very high, if each  single user in  the network
were allowed to order 1.2 Mb of data  a day from each server, it would be like
having no limit at all.

> In addition, a whole package should be sent when requested,

That is right, and I'll do something about  it as soon as the EARN business is
done  with. As  I might  already  have said  (or  forgotten to  say), I  won't
distribute  any change  to LISTSERV  until after  the EARN  business is  over,
because  some people  have  insinuated that  I would  make  sure to  introduce
serious bugs in LISTSERV before I hand  it over to EARN. By giving the present
FIX15O1 version,  unchanged since 17-Jan-89,  to EARN,  I will make  sure that
nobody can seriously pretend I have acted in such a way.

> (2) The limits should not be time wise, but should be based on the number of
> links crossed (...)

That's too complicated, both to code and to explain to an end-user. That would
also eat a lot of  CPU time. In any case, LSV$GETQ is an  exit so that you can
code whatever you want into it.

>   (3) Some  sort of  mechanism should  be put  into place  so that  you must
> confirm that you want a specific file  a second time during a 24 hour period
> and  this  confirm mechanism  will  allow  that  you  can not  just  specify
> 'override' on every command,  but that it must be in  response to a Listser
> advisory

It must  be possible to specify  'override' on any command,  because you might
have a  service machine or somesuch  requesting a file from  LISTSERV, and you
don't want to wait for a mail  reply to the command (messages can't be trusted
as  you  know),  read  it,  resend the  command  with  the  confirmation,  and
eventually  get the  file. I  had planned  to do  this but  the problem  is to
remember who got what file and when, which  is why I wanted to make it part of
the file stats support  that I planned to introduce some day  (all of that was
before EARN decided they needed to own LISTSERV, of course).

> (4) If some  sort of regional association of backbone  sites could be formed
> (...)
>
> (a) The sub-server that has the  file because of space considerations at the
> main (regional) server site, or;
>
> (b) A server that is closer to the site that is requesting the file than the
> regional server, and  the files have been sub-stored on  that server, or the
> site is in fact a closer regional server.

(b) might be  down at the time of  the request, which might be  the reason why
the request  was not  sent there  in the  first place.  An override  option is
therefore required. In any  case this is a LOT of work -  having to keep track
of what server has what file,  keeping that information up to date, regardless
of the order in which the updates  arrive, of lost files, etc... You're asking
for  something as  complicated as  the UDD  database, and  that takes  time to
implement.

> All files  have an origin point  and are sent  to this origin by  the person
> making the updates.

What if it is down? How can I update the other peers?

> This  Listserv then  sends  the update  job to  all  other regional  servers
> housing the file in question. The Regional server then updates all its local
> sub-servers.

What  is a  "local sub-server"?  Who defines  to which  region a  given server
belongs? What happens if network delays cause  a server to be in no region, or
more than one region, for a transient but non-negligible amount of time?

  Eric