Jeffrey Boulier <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 21:30:04 -0400
Hi y'all!

I thought that it might be interesting to see what operating systems other
listserv sites were running. So I ran a few UNIX commands to check. See
notes at bottom for "More details, & how you can do this yourself"

First the results...

"Generic OS"        # sites
VM                    105    (69 on BITNET)
UNIX                  95     (43 running on Suns. Yay!)
Windows               49
OpenVMS               18     (2 on BITNET)

        MORE DETAILS, AND HOW YOU CAN DO THIS YOURSELF

cat peers.names | grep system |cut -f1 -d" "| sort | uniq -c | sort -r

gave me the operating systems of the computers on BITNET...

  47 :system.VM/ESA
  10 :system.VM/SP
   9 :system.VM/XA
   5 :system.VM/HPO
   2 :system.OpenVMS

and

cat intpeers.names | grep system |cut -f1 -d" "| sort | uniq -c | sort -r

let me know what OS were being used by computers on the Internet...

  49 :system.Windows
  31 :system.VM/ESA
  31 :system.Solaris
  26 :system.AIX
  16 :system.OpenVMS
  12 :system.SunOS
   7 :system.Linux
   5 :system.OSF/1
   5 :system.HP-UX
   4 :system.BSD/OS
   3 :system.Ultrix
   2 :system.VM/SP
   2 :system.VM/HPO
   2 :system.IRIX
   1 :system.VM/XA

For those interested in Microsoft's 3d place contribution...

grep Windows intpeers.names | sort | uniq -c | sort -r

  29 :system.Windows NT 3.51
  19 :system.Windows NT 4.0
   1 :system.Windows 95

None of this data will tell you anything about LISTSERV running on
standalone sites, of course. I don't know how significant those Intranet
numbers are. but I'd guess Windows & Unix systems might look a little more
popular...

I wonder how many keyword searches this post is going to screw up?  :-)

                                --Jeff B.