Adam Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 May 2002 13:20:42 -0700
Just a quick question:  is there any real reason to run virus
protection software on a dedicated LISTSERV / LSMTP box?

I just found out that McAffee's virus prot. program was "curing"
*.MAI files in the LSMTP spool directories. The log files were
filling up with "file not found" errors, and I had a look at the
files it wasn't finding -- and sure enough they were renamed
*.MAI.VIR by McAffee and their contents deleted.

Needless to say this was a little troubling, so I disabled virus
scanning for the LISTSERV / LSMTP directories. But I then thought,
"why run virus prot. at all?" The box is dedicated to LISTSERV and
doesn't do anything else... and don't all virus attachments have to
be executed at some point by the user (until we see a more
sophisticated variant).

Also we have the lists set up with the Attachments= No keyword. And
99.9% of our lists are set up as Send= Editor, Confirm. The ones
that aren't are set to Send= Private and are very small, private
lists.

Thanks,
Adam