Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:07:22 -0500
On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Kamal Kamra wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am quite new to your software and getting used to it. I have a problem for
> which I could not find answer in your documentation or FAQ so I am sending
> it to you.
>
> When list owner sends a mail to the mailing list and one or more members
> have their vacation ON then vacation messages are send back to list owner.
> Our list owner are finding it annoying and they feel that these should be
> blocked. Is it possible to block auto responder messages at list level or
> site level? Please let us know.

Vacation notices can take any form. There's no standard protocol for them.
As a result, blocking only vacation messages is a difficult if not
impossible task to do reliably. On the lists I manage, I simply set those
subscriptions to NOMAIL whenever I get a vacation message. I also send out
an ocassional reminder that people should avoid using vacation messages
unless they sign off the list first or set their subscription options to
NOMAIL first.