Wed, 30 Jul 1997 11:35:24 +1000
On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Eric Thomas wrote:

> On     Tue,     29     Jul     1997    17:48:35     +1000     David     M
> <[log in to unmask]> said:
>
> >BTW  after  I restart  the  changes  I made  to  the  templates are  not
> >reflected in the Lists index page. Why is that?
>
> Pretend you  had 10,000  lists and LISTSERV  always rebuilt  the xxx.html
> files during startup even if this were not needed...

Mmmm good point!  Obviously this would be a problem, but how many ppl have
10,000 public lists running? :) I guess a compromise could be to set an
option in the conf file that changes this behaviour according to the
user's preferences.  Also the files should only be updated if and only if
the template files (relevant to the WWW) are updated (otherwise not point
rebuilding them).

> >I would recommend that in future  releases the WA script overwrites this
> >files with the  news ones so that  changes to the templates  can be seen
> >without manually having to delete the archive files.
>
> But they are not created by WA. If you are restarting LISTSERV to refresh
> all the  html files in your  archive directory, you should  simply remove
> them before  the restart.  This way  you are  sure LISTSERV  will rebuild
> them. Otherwise it tries to figure out whether they need to be rebuilt or
> not and it does not account for human intervention in this decision.

Yes that is what I ended up doing.  I just removed the lot!  When it
restarted it just created them again, this time with the changes I had
specified in the template.

How does it account to rebuild or not the files?   Is it based on the
timestamp of the templates?  If it is then something did not work as I
did update (actually created) the www_archive template...

Regards,

David