Happy Valentine's Day

This Valentine's Day begins L-Soft's 20th anniversary year. Two decades ago, Eric Thomas – who first developed LISTSERV, the original email list software in 1986 – incorporated and registered the company to develop the software further. Here's a look at the ways that LISTSERV continues to spread the love and build relationships, to the tune of more than 100 million list subscriptions around the world.

"LISTSERV and email fulfill a fundamental human need – the need to form communities and share ideas, experiences, joy and pain. People have been doing this for as long as mankind has existed, but LISTSERV removes the barrier of physical distance," Eric Thomas said.

Let's see some of the main ways that LISTSERV email lists connect people.

Hobby and Specialty Discussion Lists

Dog breeds, authors, sports teams, you name it – if you love something, there's a group of people who share your passion for it and want to talk about it. Some great friendships – even a marriage or two that we know of – have come from these groups.

"Our list is like a family. We share the joys of new puppies, the loss of dear old companions, and everything in between. And while we may occasionally squabble within our 'pack', The Belgian [Shepherd Dog] community is amazingly helpful and supportive in times of trouble ... the easy flow of information and the ability to 'meet' so many new friends has truly changed our world."

– Libbye Miller, BELG-L List Owner

Email Newsletters and Marketing Campaigns

Companies and associations show their appreciation for their customers and members with relevant and useful content, special offers and opportunities for interaction. In turn, they are rewarded with their subscribers' loyalty and devotion – now that's what we call "a happy engagement".

Email Communities

Facing the challenges of parenting a special-needs child, struggling to overcome an eating disorder, coping with a cancer diagnosis – even the toughest of times are made better by the shared love and support of a LISTSERV community of friends who have "been there" and understand.

"KIDNEY-ONC is an invaluable LISTSERV list that has given me great insight and confidence – indeed, great hope – as I face kidney cancer. My reliance on KIDNEY-ONC for information, support, encouragement, guidance, clarification and reassurance has kept me on course since I was first diagnosed and then discovered this wonderful assembly of 'cancervivors'."

– Doug in Plattsburgh, New York

Simply put, regardless of the topic or type of email list, email lists are a way to share, connect and make our own and other lives a little better. As Eric has said: "Give and take – it's at the heart of what LISTSERV stands for."

So take a chance, search a topic you're interested in, and you might discover a new LISTSERV list to enjoy: http://www.lsoft.com/catalist.html

Happy Valentine's Day!

EmailBits - L-Soft's Microblog List

Web: http://community.emailogy.com/scripts/wa-COMMUNITY.exe?A0=EMAILBITS

RSS: http://community.emailogy.com/scripts/wa-COMMUNITY.exe?RSS&L=EMAILBITS&V=2.0

To unsubscribe: &*TICKET_URL(EMAILBITS,SIGNOFF);