Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Wed, 2 Jul 1986 21:21 SET
  I have made many changes to the format of lists and must consequently heavily
test a thing. Vanilla tests were successful,  and now I need a real one. Please
tell me if something in this piece of mail looks weird/abnormal.

  I made the following changes since the last version:

- Allow commands to be issued via RFC822 mail or IBM NOTE. A "Subject: command"
  tag must be present to identify the command. The reply is then sent as a mail
  file instead of messages.

- Files sent to a non-bitnet id (pos('.',nodeid)  ^= 0) is sent in a mail file,
  if lrecl < 80; otherwise the guy gets an error message (mail). Is it possible
  to send files with lrecl > 80 outside BITNET?

- Whenever a  non-mail file is  sent to a  list, non-bitnet nodes  are ignored.
  This restriction is because lrecl might be > 80 and because the user-supplied
  format information (netdata, card, etc) could not be matched. Il y a des limi
  tes a tout as we say in french.

- *DEBUG* at present,  and for debugging purposes only, files  are sent in mail
  format when the  request was received as file rather  than msg. For instance,
  sending a RFC822 mail with "rev test-l" will send you the list as a mail file
  instead of a  normal file, even though  you're a BITNET id. By  the way, does
  any of you have access to a non bitnet id for testing?

- I changed the format  of the lists to allow userid length up  to 39 chars (ie
  dc [log in to unmask],c' ',cl40'dude's name')

I'll be sending a  dummy file to the list too. Please tell  me if you don't get
it.

   Eric