Jacob Palme QZ <[log in to unmask]>
01 Mar 87 12:55 +0100
  Let's put this on  a vote. I am myself in favour  of stripping anything that
has not be proved to be absolutely  necessary, so as to reduce network load to
a minimum. Since  I will get flamed if  I do what Jacob asks me,  and will get
flamed too if I don't do it, I'll just do what the majority thinks is the best
:-) I will use the result of this vote for further similar requests, if any.

  *PLEASE* don't send your  vote to the list unless you  have something to say
besides "YES"  or "NO".  Just send  to me, privately,  and I'll  broadcast the
results.

  Jacob: this  can only apply to  MAIL contributions. In the  case of commands
sent  to  the server  (ie  mail  sent  to  LISTSERV@FRECP11 with  commands  to
execute), the  original mail header  is completely  discarded and it  would be
extremely difficult to  preserve the Message-ID: or whatever. There  are now 8
different sources of commands for LISTSERV and they are all routed to the same
routine which  does not know how  the command was  sent. It only knows  if the
reply  is to  go out  as  interactive messages  or mail,  and whether  further
password validation should be waived or not.

  Eric
*----------------------------------------------------------------------------*
We have problems  with messages going via LISTSERV at  BITNIC. Our problems is
that the MESSAGE-ID field in the messages sent to LISTSERV at BITNIC disappear
when the messages are returned from LISTSERV.

This  is a  severe problem  for  us, because  we  use the  Message-ID-s for  a
multitude of uses:

Elimination of loops
Elimination of duplicates of the same message
Correlation of in-reply-to-s etc.

We would very much appreciate if you  could change LISTSERV so as to allow the
Message-ID field to be preserved in outgoing messages.

Yours sincerely

Jacob Palme [log in to unmask]