Dan Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 15 Jul 1995 20:14:28 -0500
Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]> found us some useful
information about the latest address to suddenly appear on our
lists.  Here is some of it:

> "Cloud 9 Internet" is headquartered at "15 Lake Street, White Plains, NY 10603"
> and 'Scott Drassinhower' <[log in to unmask]> is the Technical/Zone/Admin.
> contact for this domain, and can be also contacted at 914-682-0626.
. . .
> Their WWW-site (http://WWW.CLOUD9.NET) claims that they are a full-access
> I.S.P. in Westchester County of NY.  That WWW-site includes a list of "rules",
> which state, in part, "you may not ... harass users, either via email ..."
> and "if they ask you to stop, you must".

> So, ask 'root@firebug' to stop bothering you.  If he/she doesn't,
> then their CLOUD9 account can be immediately terminated.

I think we are sure that the addresses that appear on our lists
are the victims, not the perpetrators, of the trouble.  Someone
was mad at root@firebug so he (probably not she) forged
subscription requests to hundreds of lists so that they appeared
to come from [log in to unmask]  The flood of mail was certainly
enough to be an annoyance, and may even have been enough to crash
the firebug system.

There has also been some concern that certain lists are being
targeted for political reasons.  I don't think so.  The firebug
address ended up on 12 of the KIDLINK lists.

I also agree with Eric that "me too" messages reporting where the
subscriptions were submitted or not submitted are a waste of
time.  Good luck to those who are trying to track down the
perpetrator.  Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

                          Peace,  Dan

<<  Daniel D. Wheeler          Internet:  [log in to unmask]  >>
<<  University of Cincinnati     Bitnet:  wheeler@ucbeh       >>