Eric Paul-Hus <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 4 Jan 1997 18:38:29 -0800
Mike: Regarding the proposed self-moderation scheme and NetNews
pseudo-user ...

It seems like you a bit swimming against the tide ... I guess more
owners are interested in blocking/filtering Usenet than let it free ...

Why did you state that you doubted users will sub & set nomail ? Is it
because they lack e-mail address and only connect via web based news ?

One suggestion if you do the change: Customize the MAILTPL for the
POST_EDITOR section so it states clearly that if they want their posts
processed "automatically" they should sub and give the subscribe
information. Spammers don't seem to bother do it (for the moment ;-).
(I dunno if POST_EDITOR template is available on 1.8a )

Then announce it on your list... The only users that will burden you
will those that you have to release posts for by "OK"ing ... and since
they *choose* not to sub and set nomail (exactly 3 short e-mail messages
sub,OK,SET) then you'll process them when/if you have time otherwise
their post will die after 48 hours.

You can even annouce them there is been a change in the software and
that they must comply ... citing Pete forward of Jim's post ... after
all, it is what's happpening ;-)

One other solution is to add them yourself and set them nomail, at least
for all the frequent Usenet posters in order to "cut down the workload".

If you list is paid for or some revenue depend on traffic that's another
story ...

But if your list is free then let the user be responsible for their
accont ... If they don't want to sub maybe they don't really want to
post. Note that it is not only the software change that will burden you
but also your users attitude and cooperation... They should "have a
heart too" ;-)

Going private and having Usenet users sub & set nomail have worked
wonders for the signal/noise ratio on my list... No more, passer-by
flaming or Usenet spam for the last 3 months ...

What's the worse that can happen ? A pay cut ;-) Or be fired ? If it is
easy for you as for me to find "volunteer" replacement, I would not
sweat it ...

And about filtering/sorting mail software, I heard Pegasus does a good
job on sorting... Check around I heard it's freeware ...

Good luck with your list.

My .02$CAN (.014$US) ...
--
Eric Paul-Hus , BLUES-L

PS Is that Pete, Ben, Douglas (or all) that said that volunteer list
owners have the tendancy to be too "gentle" with the user ... I since
then knitted myself an asbestos firerepellent suit, for those who get
tempered even with civil and courteous e-mail.