Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 13:19:46 EDT
On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 09:40:43 -0600 Ben Parker said:
>The difference is that for joining the list, whether ADDed by Owner or SUB by
>themself, they will get the same (1 or 2) message(s).

I thought if ADDed by the listowner, new subscribers get the ADD1 message,
which by default appends a copy of $SIGNUP to a short "You have been added
to listname by ...."

If they subscribe themselves, one instead receives the SIGNUP1 message,
which also appenmds a copy of $SIGNUP, but to a slightly different "Your
subscription to listname has been accepted" message.

And, if one exists, either method will send out the WELCOME file as well.

We often eliminate the $SIGNUP message altogether, just leaving us with
the ADD1 or SIGNUP1 template to serve as a short confirmation, and then
we put our instructions in the welcome note.

Bill