Jane Lyle <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:19:02 -0500
> Maybe someone here has enough time and familarity to prepare a
> cheat-sheet, at least of the minimal information needed by a new owner.

Our university's computing knowledge basis, which is public (and
terrific), includes a lot of simplified, step-by-step instructions for new
Listserv owners. The URL for the knowledge base is http://kb.indiana.edu/
; a search with Listserv in the search box yields 90 different documents.
Here is a sample:

On my LISTSERV list, how do I create welcome and farewell messages?

When a user is added or subscribed to the list, LISTSERV sends the new
subscriber basic information about LISTSERV. If you wish, you can create a
separate welcome message that provides the new subscriber with additional
information about the list. Follow these steps:

1. Be sure that you have defined a personal password with the PW ADD
command. (For more information, see the Knowledge Base document On my
LISTSERV mailing list, how do I set a personal password?)

2. Create a file that contains your welcome message.

3. Send the file in the body of an e-mail message addressed to the
LISTSERV server. Include the following command as the first line in the
file:

       PUT listname.WELCOME PW=XXXXXXXX

Replace listname with the name of your list, and XXXXXXXX with your
personal password.

Here is a sample WELCOME file:

  PUT NT-DEMO-L.WELCOME PW=privatepassword

  Welcome to the NT-DEMO-L list.  This list is available
  to persons interested in trying out LISTSERV.

  If you have any questions, send e-mail to

You may also create a farewell message for people who leave your list.
Follow the same two steps outlined above, andthen send the file in the
body of an e-mail message to the LISTSERV server. Include the following
command as the first line in the file:

  PUT listname.FAREWELL PW=XXXXXXXX

Replace listname with the name of your list, and XXXXXXXX with your
personal password.

Also see:

     On my LISTSERV mailing list, how do I set a personal password?
     On my LISTSERV list, how do I create top and bottom banners?
     On my LISTSERV list, how do I view the WELCOME file?

Jane