Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 29 Jun 1996 16:48:29 MST
On Thu, 27 Jun 1996 08:20:07 -0400 Philo said:
>We have cc:Mail in our organization of 600, which has some tough budget

   You have my sympathy.

>problems. If the mail system "works", why spend $$$$ to replace it?

  Nobody has enough money in the budget, at least no one I ever heard of.
Well, how can it "work" when you just said it didn't?  Does it or doesn't it?
I assume you mean that it works for an internal system but it sucks for
Internet email.  Eventually Lotus will figure that out and fix it.  Not my
problem and certainly not Eric's.  LSoft has always had to face idiots and
assholes using broken software, and probably always will.

>Especially when you consider it's not just purchase price, but conversion,
>installation, and training issues...  Tough call- does the company bend to
>the will of the (usually a minority) workers, or does LSOFT adjust to suit
>its customers (listowners and members)?

  Appears to me that LSoft continues to serve the needs of the vast majority
of its customers, both current and potential.  So, I'd question your
assessment of where the problem lies.  If one of the ten thousand or so
members of my lists can't sort it the mail how they want it, if they don't
have a functional mail system, well, it just isn't MY problem.  They can
get their organization to change, get another ISP, or whatever.  There
surely is no shortage of companies around that will give them good service
for a fair price if the mail organization is such a problem to them.

  One of the systems I use daily is Novell GroupWise4.1.  It is far from
ideal as an internet mail system, but it can be made to be reasonably
effective.  Of course it needs to be set up right.  The sysadmin of another
IDENTICAL version of GW at another state agency swears the same things that
you do, that it won't sort the mail, etc, etc.  Of course the fact that he
won't listen to suggestions from anyone else who runs the identical software
version (right down to release dates on key .DLLs) doesn't make GW a bad
system.  It just proves he's an asshole.  I don't know ccMail at all, but
first be sure that the problems with ccMail couldn't be fixed before I got
all upset with Eric or anyone else.

cheers

cyclops

  Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
  Albertsons Library, Boise State University, Boise, Idaho 83725 USA
  [log in to unmask]             http://cyclops.idbsu.edu/
  How can one fool make another wise?  Kansas, "No One Together," 1979