Sat, 29 Jun 1996 19:22:24 -0400
At 16:48 06/29/96 MST, Dan Lester scribed:
>On Thu, 27 Jun 1996 08:20:07 -0400 Philo said:
>>We have cc:Mail in our organization of 600, which has some tough budget
>
>   You have my sympathy.

Thanks. I deal with it. I think they just picked up MAPI, so perhaps a lot
of this will go away...

>>problems. If the mail system "works", why spend $$$$ to replace it?
>
>  Nobody has enough money in the budget, at least no one I ever heard of.
>Well, how can it "work" when you just said it didn't?  Does it or doesn't it?
>I assume you mean that it works for an internal system but it sucks for
>Internet email.  Eventually Lotus will figure that out and fix it.  Not my
>problem and certainly not Eric's.  LSoft has always had to face idiots and
>assholes using broken software, and probably always will.

Actually, I'm really disappointed that everyone's flaming me for my
anti-LSoft option, but no one has echoed my more pro-active, L-Soft friendly
solution (not mine; I've seen it here before): block subscribers from
non-compliant sites. If enough listowners deprive users at non-compliant
sites, then maybe enough users will bitch to MIS types, and enough of them
will bitch to the software writers, and the world will come closer to
compliance...

>  One of the systems I use daily is Novell GroupWise4.1.  It is far from
>ideal as an internet mail system, but it can be made to be reasonably
>effective.  Of course it needs to be set up right.  The sysadmin of another
>IDENTICAL version of GW at another state agency swears the same things that
>you do, that it won't sort the mail, etc, etc.  Of course the fact that he
>won't listen to suggestions from anyone else who runs the identical software
>version (right down to release dates on key .DLLs) doesn't make GW a bad
>system.  It just proves he's an asshole.  I don't know ccMail at all, but
>first be sure that the problems with ccMail couldn't be fixed before I got
>all upset with Eric or anyone else.

Okay then:
cc:Mail only gives TWO headers: its best guess at a "From" line, and the
subject line. Lotus has confirmed there is NO way for a user to access the
rest of the headers. cc:Mail's best guess is sometimes the list name,
sometimes the sender. If it's the sender, how exactly do I set the rule to
sort the message?

For example:

From: Bob Jones
Subj: No, not at this time
Sorry, group; I just can't change the headers around for a small group right
now.
  Bob

How would *you* set a filter to put this in the "Pat Benatar Mailing List"
folder?

>cheers
>cyclops
>  Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator

Always willing to learn,
Philo

Philo                          || quod per sortem
[log in to unmask]                || sternit fortem,
*2*E GULC        <*>           ||    mecum omnes plangite!
http://www.radix.net/~philo    ||         -Carmina Burana