Sat, 25 Jul 1998 00:27:35 -0500
Boils down to what works and what doesn't, and the concientious listowner
does what works< regardless.  But the concientious listowner also does his
best, like Maureen Leblanc, to understand how the system he is using and
LISTSERV work.  If LISTSERV won't let you do something, like edit an "ok"
and use the same approval code, YOU figure out how to do it yourself.  If
you think the list is of importance, and the edting job is worth the work
involved, you do it.  And you don't moan and groan about it, other than
occaisional "hey, Eric, could you do this?".

If one is trying to use a POP or similar type mailer to run a list and it
will not do some of the things a listowner needs to do, get rid of it,
find something that will allow you to fulfill ALL your functions as
listowner.  If you have a commercial ISP which does not allow that, find
one that will.  If you are working from an .edu site and they won't allow
you the tools you need to do your job, get a commercial account which
will.  That is what I did, no junk, unix command line, any mailer I want
to use, any problem fixed within 1- 3 hours regardless of when I call
them, they'll give me a temp account while they work on the problem. Worth
the money. I am especially glad I have it now as Buffalo is on a
revamping/"upgrading"  (again, sigh) binge and I'm tired of fighting it.
A list item that needs major editing, I just pop it down here and take
care of it.

The listowner does whatever is required to keep the list functioning
properly, regardles of how long it takes or how convenient it is, and
every once in a while elbows Eric and says "how about this." Speaking of
which, could we, pretty please, have AFD/FUI back?  I mean, we were
assured when all our host sites were moved from VM and VAX to UNIX that
AFD/FUI would be along shortly. We are waiting, and we will keep bringing
it up, those of us who loved it.  If your commercial customers haven't
asked for it it is because they don't know about it.  Potentially, it is a
fantastic spam device. If they knew about it they would want it, money in
LSOFT's coffers.

Douglas