Thu, 8 Aug 1996 20:41:15 -0500
I believe Canada is a signatory to the Berne Convention on copyright
so the instructor being in Canada is moot.  The author retains full
rights unless specifically abrogated.

I assume these "packets" will be made up by a copying firm.  They will
make a profit on the copyrighted work of others and the authors will
get nothing.  I imagine that the authors of the items which she wants
to use could bring a suit for infringement of copyright.  Whether they
would win or not is open, but they would have every right to do so.

What she should do is contact each of the authors of the items she
wants to use and get written (as on paper, with a signature) permission
to use the material.  She should then be in the clear (and the copy
service also).  If she hasn't checked with the copy service yet she
might find that, if they are reputable, they will refuse to make the
copies without a formal release.  A number of copy services have gotten
burned for precisely that sort of thing.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L