Les Moskowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 05:09:09 -0400
An unwelcome change in the upgrade from 1.8b to 1.8c has been the
confirmation requirement for subscription requests which are sent through
a web browser.  This requirement is imposed automatically and is
not an option which can be set or removed by a header keyword.

My list uses the "by owner" option for subscription requests, and in
addition I require the new subscriber to read and agree to a rather
lengthy "rules of the list" message before I enter their subscription.
The result is that the additional confirmation which 1.8c requires is
an unnecessary stumbling block to the potential new subscriber.  I don't
know how many such subscribers my list may have lost due to this extra
requirement.

I received a message for help from one such potential subscriber today,
and in looking at the message he received, I discovered this section:

   "Note  that the security  level of the list is under  list owner
    control,  and that  is the  person  you should  contact if  you
    have any complaint about security procedures."

Now that's really adding insult to injury!!  This aspect of security
is NOT under my control.  If I'm wrong, then please tell me how to get rid
of it.  And if I'm right, then at least let me change the text of the
message so that I won't be blamed for the additional burden.

                                                  Les