SANTU DESILVA <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:53:39 -0500
Coming out of lurkdom to ask:

Could you define these terms as you heard them defined at
the FTC Span Forum you attended in May?  The description
the gentleman from Notre Dame used seemed particularly
clear to me.  Has this usage been altered, as he seems to
suggest?

Archimedes (Bach-List)

The terms "confirmed opt-in" and "double opt-in" were used at the FTC
Spam Forum I attended in May, defined using those meanings. Since
those are the terms that were presented to the FTC and to the US
lawmakers, those are the terms we used.

It's all semantics. It doesn't matter what anyone calls it. The
concept that was introduced to our lawmakers in the US as "confirmed
opt-in" is insufficient, no matter what you call it. The concept that
was introduced to our lawmakers as "double opt-in" is the way to go.

What does it matter what you call it, as long as you DO the right
thing?

Francoise