Michael Holloway <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 23:16:14 EST
Thought I should pass on this response I received from an ISP in regards to
some of their customers not being able to sub to my list.  In related news,
Hotmail seems to have fixed the problem with their spam filter doing the
same.  Several months ago they started blocking all null Return-path
messages, effectively blocking LISTSERV commands requiring confirmation.  At
least one ISP, Concentric, has decided not to use Brightmail spam filtering
because of similar problems that Brightmail is still uninterested in fixing.

--------------------
Hi Mike, I appreciate your CCing me on this. Switching ISPs would be a
short-term solution to the problem, as there are few remaining ISPs who
tolerate
the SPAM-bait Null-senders is turning out to be.  I've checked with several
local ISPs, and most have either stopped accepting Null-sender already, or
will
be doing so in the very near future. The ivory-tower crowd still waives the
anachronistic RFC around, but those of us whose livelyhoods depend on
fighting
the good fight against SPAM don't have that luxury. I think fixing LISTSERV
would be a better solution all-around.

Terry Ryan
CCIS, Inc.