Peter Rauch <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 10:25:14 -0800
On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Judith Hopkins wrote:

>    As spamming began to become a nuisance we changed to REVIEW =PRIVATE
>    but realized that that was not particularly effective as anyone
>    could subscribe, get the subscription list, and then unsubscribe.
>    So now we have REVIEW =OWNERS     If anyone can persuade me that
>    he or she has a valid need for some subscription information I am
>    glad to provide it to them but I have rarely received such requests.

Can I persuade you to define the list as:
* Review= Private
* Default-Options= Conceal

so that you leave the new subscriber protected from prying
eyes, but leave with them the prerogative and responsibility
to decide for themselves whether they wish to be a visible
subscriber (to other subscribers of the list)? This way, you
get to protect your subscribers, lacking any knowledge of
their wishes to the contrary, but you relieve yourself on
forcing them to continue to be "protected" if they do not
wish to. Everyone wins.

If I do convince you to configure your list as above, then
remember also to QUIET SET <listname> CONCEAL FOR *@* in
order to initially conceal the subscriptions of all those
who are already subscribed to your list (redefining the
list's configuration will not change the SETtings of those
already subscribed).

And, finally, remember that it is only those subscribers who
have not posted to your list who will have the option to
remain concealed (if you keep archives accessible to
subscribers or the public). Once they've posted, anyone with
permission can GET the logfiles and derive subscriber
userids from there.
Peter R