Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Jul 1995 13:19:32 +0200
The  "Internet-Via=" keyword  was added  to solve  a very  particular and
urgent  problem  that  I  was  having at  KTH  several  years  ago,  with
influential people  breathing down my  neck. The problem in  question has
since then ceased to be an issue, but since I've found other uses for the
keyword for debugging/testing purposes, I haven't removed it. However, it
isn't supposed  to solve any  particular problem other than  the original
one I was having, you should view it as an internal undocumented keyword.
If it happens to  be useful to you, great, but I  don't claim it's useful
for anything :-)

What it does is rewrite  all Internet addresses to user%host@internet-via
before proceeding  with the delivery. The  original problem/design called
for both  the LISTSERV  host and  the "Internet-Via="  host to  be BITNET
nodes, but the code will make the  transformation even if this is not the
case. "NJE-Via=" does  the same for BITNET addresses. This  allowed me to
gateway  certain  lists  through   hosts  that  had  specific  gatewaying
properties that were wanted by the (influential) subscribers.

Nowadays, I use "Internet-Via=" to  stress test mail delivery machines. I
take a big  list and force all the  messages to go through the  host I am
testing, simply to  push some traffic through the machine  and see how it
handles it. There are probably better ways to do that, but this works and
is  already there.  It doesn't  matter how  the messages  reach the  test
machine exactly, as long  as they do. When I'm happy  that the machine is
working,  I use  it for  whatever it  was meant  to do  and turn  off the
redirection.

You  can probably  make it  work for  you if,  in addition,  you add  the
Internet-Via host to  the LOCAL setenv. This will make  LISTSERV pass the
delivery directly to your sendmail, which will open one connection to the
Internet-Via host and send it everything.

  Eric