Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 21:22:23 -0500
Pauline Marshall wrote:

>But with subscribe by_owner for this reason, you now defeat the 'confirm',
>and could subscribe bogus addresses.  It is unfortunally, a choice you
>have to make. :(

Or, you verify the addresses before you add them to the list.  A simple
"Did you try to subscribe yourself to the <listname> list?  If you did,
please respond to this message as I would like to verify your intent to
join."  Actually, my own message is quite a bit longer than than, but I
have some very specific things which I need to say when I reply to a
request for people to join and I also need further information from that
person before I add them to the list if I am not convinced of their
authenticity as a person.  This last bit is super easy to tell based upon
what they write in the e-mail itself, easier than most people might
imagine if your list is very specifically geared toward a certain topic.

Glenn, who believes that in certain circumstances, by the nature of
certain lists, subscription of "open,confrim" leaves much to be desired.