"Alperin, Glenn" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 14:51:55 -0400
Simple solutions to spammer problems:

I don't allow spammers into my list.  :)  My list is set to subscribe by
owner.  I make sure that the person belongs on my list before I subscribe
them, usually by an exchange of four or five e-mails.  If this satisfies
my own curiosity I will subscribe them to my list.

In addition, I require that anybody whom I subscribe to my list send in an
introduction to the list within two weeks of having been subscribed.  To
this point in time, I have only had one person who has not done that, so
with proper warning, I unsubscribed them.  Needless to say, that got the
person's attention and he promptly sent me his introduction to be posted
to the list.  I do this because it is important to me to make sure that
both myself and my list members feel comfortable with everybody on the
list, and such a tactic may not be neccesary for all lists.

I suspect if somebody cared to try hard enough, they could
probably subscribe themselves to my list by forging my e-mail address, so
I've been toying with the idea of editing my header to read

*Subscription= By Owner, confirm

Is this valid syntax, albeit perhaps somewhat redundant?  If this is valid
syntax, does it ask the list owner for the confirmation or the subscriber?

Glenn