Gerald England <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 15:58:25 -0000
Well if you only want an elitist group to read your mail
then you are going the right way about it.

If you want to get your views across to the majority then
you need to take heed of why HTML is not appropriate
to most mailing lists.

To begin with  - when your mail arrived in my inbox
all I saw was a blank message.

But with my mailer I've discovered that when pressing "reply to"
when I encounter such messages
they often appear.

Had you sent it as plain text - I'd have read it without that need.
And since it is now in my reply-box I will reply to you.

Some more notes below

---------- quoting
> From: Stephen C. Nill, J.D. <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Stopping HTML, and attachments
> Date: 02 February 1999 02:59

        I'm late to this thread but thought since I have an exactly opposite
> view to the views expressed on this thread, I might as well stick my neck out.
> I absolutely love emails that utilize HTML because they can provide a richness
> to the communication that plain text cannot.
---

Provided your recipients can read them.

>1) some email clients sent simultaneous straight ASCII AND HTMLized text:
>the recipients certainly don't need to receive both

    >    But this format allows an email client to read the message, either in
> its living color version (HTML) complete with various fonts, colors and sizes,
> or, if an older client, in its straight text version.
----

What is important
the message or the package?

>2) some email clients don't understand HTML

>       I don't know the percentage, but it must be small and growing
> smaller by
> the day.  Gad, folks can get Netscape or Explorer for free!

        The question is, do we dumb down everybody else for the sake of a few
> behind-the-curve subscribers?  Or do we move forward with the technology and
> all that it promises?
----

It isn't a question of dumbing down. 90% of your bells and whistles
do nothing to further the deliverance of your text.

> 4) many folks would sooner not have attachments since they may not be
> able to process them
>  Again, why dumb down the works for the sake of a few who refuse to keep
> up?

Why should they "keep up"?
to line the pockets of software developers?

No one will dispute your right to send HTML messages and attachments
to people who can receive them and will benefit.

No one is saying that you should not use your bells and whistles
in personal email to people you know.

The argument is about sending  messages to mailing lists
where discussion and dissemination of information is paramount

In a list you do NOT know what mail programs your recipients use
so you need to use a setting that will reach everyone.

You need to be charitable towards your more
mail-software-challenged readers.

yours
Gerald England

Gerald, Christine and Craig England,