Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 14:54:19 -0500
First and foremost is the mission of your organization, and the services
that they provide internally, and then externally.  I suspect that you
can "handle" the internal disputes.  As far as the extenal ones are
concerned, I suspect that you are providing a "free" i.e., no charge to
list -owners nor  -subscribers.  There is the flaw -- no accountability
or control to cental (you) resources.

Money is a great control mechanism -- it demonstrates power, authority,
and influence.

If the time and energy that your insitution devotes to providing service
to a particular list exceeds the benefit to your institution, then the
free list should be put up for adoption to one of those
advertizer-supported free list hosts.

I do like Karen's approach--she has "programmed" into the process
responsibility and control.

/Pete