Sat, 27 Sep 1997 02:49:31 -0400
Dear Mr. Harrison:

   I am having almost the same problem. Apparently someone in the computer
center where our lists are hosted has implemented some sort of bottom
banners (without the desired text) on the two lists that I manage, after I
requested that VM file IDs be created allowing the storage of filename
mailtpl files.

   In reading Section 9.5 of the L-Soft List Owner's Manual (included
below for your reference), I found that before I can put (store) the
edited mail template file back on the server, the manual says, "the
LISTSERV maintainer will have to create a fileid for the file before you
can PUT it on the server. Contact the LISTSERV maintainer before trying to
store your template file."

   Yet, as with your situation, the listname mailtpl files do not show up
in file lists. Thus I am not able to get, edit and "put" (store) the
listname mailtpl files back on the server. When I attempt to get the
listname mailtpl files, Listserv responds: "File 'LISTNAME MAILTPL' from
filelist LISTSERV is unknown to LISTSERV."

   What could be the problem, and how were the mystery bottom banners
created?

   Here is the pertinent section of the L-Soft List Owner's Manual:

9.5. Storing the <listname>.MAILTPL file on the host machine

The procedure differs slightly on VM systems, but the following will work
for unix, VMS and Windows systems:

1. Get a copy of DEFAULT.MAILTPL and edit it.

2. Be sure that  you have defined a "personal password"  to LISTSERV with
the PW  ADD command before  you PUT the template  file. If you  have done
this  but  can't remember  the  password,  send  a  PW RESET  command  to
LISTSERV, then a new PW ADD command.

3. Send  the file  to LISTSERV  with a  PUT listname  MAILTPL PW=XXXXXXXX
command at  the top of  the file,  just as if  you were storing  the list
itself. Replace XXXXXXXX with your personal password.

The variation for VM systems is that the LISTSERV maintainer will have to
create a fileid for the file before you can PUT it on the server. Contact
the LISTSERV maintainer before trying to store your template file.

   Please let me know when you find out the answer! I appreciate your
help.

      Sincerely,

      Ken Reigner

--
Ken Reigner
Member, Board of Directors             Washington Independent Writers